Selene Quarterly Magazine publishes quality fiction, poetry, non-fiction, and art that dwells in the shadows. SQM desires stories and poetry that embrace the diversity of emotions we encounter daily. Works that are thrilling, reflective, and driven are admired here.
March 1-15 11:59PM EST (May Issue)
June 1-15 11:59PM EST (August Issue)
September 1-15 11:59PM EST (November Issue)
December 1-15 11:59PM EST (February Issue)
Anything submitted outside of these windows will be deleted unread. Artists and photographers can submit year round.
The honeymoon period never lasts for long. Romance literature requires the start of a new flame and new desires by breaking down the routines and everyday comforts of the protagonist. The mystery genre replicates suspense by interrupting normalcy with something a miss. Action-Adventure narratives often incorporate the adventurer’s life being turned upside down by an inexplicable event. Brides, Grooms, and Honeymoons wants stories that shatter relationships. How do marriages dissolve into some of the most bitter, hate-fueled conflicts? What lies underneath the end of peace within all types of bonds one promised never to break? Open to submit between September 1- September 15 11:59PM EST
FICTION, POETRY & NON-FICTION IDEAS
- A young bride returns home one night to find her husband in bed with her lover and a knife.
- An investigative journalist finds themselves in-between a heated dispute only to recognize the man as their long lost first love.
- How does one begin to heal after a devastating accident makes them a burden on their family?
- When passion and bloodshed collide, when does a folkloric hero call it quits and return home to the life they’ve abandoned?
- After conquering the known galaxies with her partner at her side, a Galactic General must face the decision to cut all ties with her.
- How has literature, science, etc. shaped our understanding of love and devotion?
TWO GENRE EXAMPLES
YEAR 1: Beautiful Disasters 
Vol. 1, Issue 001, “Brides, Grooms & Honeymoons” Sept. 2017
Vol. 1, Issue 002, “Prophecies, War, and Legends” Dec. 2017
YEAR 2: Hybridity 
Vol. 2, Issue 001, “Necromancy” March 2018
Vol. 2, Issue 002, “Tragicomedy” June 2018
Vol. 2, Issue 003, “Reliquary” Sept. 2018
Vol. 2, Issue 004, “Duality” Dec. 2018
YEAR 3: Old Flames 
Vol. 3, Issue 001, “Redemption” March 2019
Vol. 3, Issue 002, “Serenity” June 2019
Vol. 3, Issue 003, “Reunification” Sept. 2019
Vol. 3, Issue 004, “Vindication” Dec. 2019
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR ART & PHOTOGRAPHY
- Non-exclusive electronic and print reprint rights
- Ability to use the art for promotional purposes
- The option to archive the work online with links to the photographer’s and artist’s galleries
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR FICTION, POETRY & NON-FICTION
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 6 months from the date of publication
- Non-exclusive archival rights as long as the website(s) hosting the work are online
- If your story is selected to be podcast and approved in the future, payment is $0.01USD per word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights
- If selected and approved to be republished in an anthology in the future, the piece submitted will be paid in royalties up to the amount it received when initially published
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
Please query if anything listed is of concern. Here is a good explanation of what this entails.
LENGTH & GUIDELINES
COVER ART: To be used in the electronic and print editions, can be art or photography, and is usually solicited.
ARTWORK: Usually solicited. Payment dependent on the artist.
COMICS: Range from 5-25 pages (preferred). Payment dependent on the artist. Willing to serialize.
PHOTOGRAPHY: Usually solicited. Payment dependent on the photographer.
POETRY: Up to 100 lines. Paid $0.25USD a line.
MICRO FICTION: Drabbles are strictly 100 words. Titles should be no longer than 3 words. Paid $0.06USD per word.
FLASH FICTION: 500 to 1000 words. Paid $0.02USD per word.
SHORT STORIES: 1001 to 1500 words. Paid $0.03USD per word.
SERIAL STORIES: Total word count 5000 to 10000. Needs to be engaging, completed, and last two or four issues. Paid $0.03USD per word in segments.
SPOTLIGHT SHORT STORY: 1001 to 1500 words. One story involving the Moon, or a Moon, as a central element alongside the main theme of an issue. Paid $0.03USD or $0.04USD per word.
NON-FICTION ESSAYS, NARRATIVES & ARTICLES: Aimed at a general audience that a). addresses the theme b). deals with R, M or AA c). shows a level of competency about the subject matter at hand. Up to 5000 words. Paid a flat rate of $35USD.
REVIEWS: Send in reviews of R, M or AA or solicit R, M or AA to be reviewed in an issue. Should a). address the theme b). be aimed at a general audience and c). show a level of competency about the subject and medium at hand (ex. film noir). Up to 1500 words. Unpaid (soliciting a review) or $15USD (submitting a review).
EOS•QUARTERLY: Up to 2,500 words or 100 lines of poetry. Paid $0.03USD per word for the first 1,500 words and $0.01USD after for short stories, and $0.25USD a line for poetry. Must identify with a marginalized group such as but not limited to race, religion, ability status, or sex.
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Unpaid. Have at it!
All payments made through PayPal. Please note that these are not professional rates (aside for the micro-fiction). Fiction can only be resold as a reprint after publication. Decide if you want to take this payment scheme or submit to another market.
- Poorly formatted and edited work
- Overtly racist, sexist, violent, etc. works without adding value overall
- Works above the word counts and/or untitled (especially for short stories)
- Fanfiction of any kind
- Excerpts out of a novel
- Taboo elements (rape in all forms, incest, pedophilia, etc.) in almost all cases
- Pushing the boundaries of genre and form
- People of Color, disabled people, women, LGBTQIA, and other marginalized groups at the forefront
- Wuxia, Romantic Suspense, Historical, Capers, Gothic Romance, Weird Westerns, Neo-/Noir, and other lesser known sub-genres
- Through HeyPublisher (Coming Soon)
- Through Green Submissions (Coming Soon)
- Via email (preferred): subs [at] selenequarterly.com
- The subject line for art and photography should read SQSUBMISSION(Art) or SQSUBMISSION(Photos)
- The subject line should read SQSUBMISSION(ISSUE #): CATEGORY : TITLE (WORD or LINE COUNT) ex).SQSUBMISSION1: SHORT STORIES: Super Story (1001)
- A short cover letter is required. Please include your legal name, pen name (if relevant), contact information, recent publications/awards (if any), and a bio of 50-150 words. A photo of you is optional
- Submissions should be attached in the email as a .rtf, .doc or .docx
- Artists and photographers should send a link to their online gallery and/or the piece as a .PNG or .JPEG
- Shunn’s manuscript style for fiction and poetry is required (double-spaced, 12 pt standard font, page numbers, etc.)
- No reprints!
- Translations into English are welcome
- Only one submission in the same category allowed (fiction and non-fiction) for the same issue. I will be more lenient with shorter poetry
- Simultaneous submissions to other markets are accepted! Alert SQM immediately should your work be accepted somewhere else (congrats in advance!)
Currently around two to three weeks after submitting. Do not query before two weeks have passed. I do not send out notification that the piece has been received, only when it is accepted or rejected. I will try to answer all submissions with an acceptance or rejection letter.
Any personal information collected (including but not limited to your name, address, email, social media links, and pen name) is held in strict confidence and not shared with anyone else unless compelled by law or in the event threats are leveled against the staff.
If a third party contacts SQM interested in an author’s or artist’s work, the author/artist will be contacted first to ask permission to share details.
By sending us your work you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator and copyright holder of the work submitted;
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of exclusive electronic & print rights in English, first world translation rights into English, reprint rights, and/or non-exclusive audio rights to the work;
- All information submitted is accurate and truthful; and
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements upon rights not disclosed.
If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian will sign your contract and accept your payment on your behalf. Finally, if accepted here and then republished, you are required to add the volume and issue you were published in.
TRACK YOUR SUBMISSION
LAST UPDATED: July 3, 2017